This medicine contains the active ingredient zofenopril which belongs to the group of medicines called angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. ACE inhibitors do not allow the production of angiotensin II hormone which causes the compression of the blood vessels, so that they are relaxed and wide and the blood pressure is lowered. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of high blood pressure. It is also prescribed if you have had a heart attack in patients who do not receive treatment for the dissolution of blood clots.
Is Zofenopril suitable for me?
Zofenopril is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to zofenopril, other ACE inhibitor medicines or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have kidney problems where the blood supply to your kidney is reduced (renal artery stenosis)
- if you have severe liver damage
- if you are more than 3 months pregnant
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have a heart problem
- have diabetes
- have kidney or liver problems
- are receiving dialysis or have had kidney transplant
- have psoriasis (skin disease)
- have abnormally high values of the hormone aldosterone in the blood (primary aldosteronism)
- have cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease), or aortic stenosis (narrowing of the main blood vessel from your heart)
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Zofenopril interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Zofenopril?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take zofenopril exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- For high blood pressure, the usual starting dose is 15 mg once daily. The usual maintenance dose is 30 mg once daily. The maximum dose is 60 mg) per day, taken as a single dose or as two equal doses.
- For heart attack, the usual starting dose is 7,5 mg twice a day. The usual maintenance dose is 30 mg twice a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Zofenopril side effects?
Like all medicines zofenopril can cause side effects, including:
- dizziness, headache
- nausea, vomiting
- tiredness, weakness
- muscle pain
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.