This medicine contains active ingredient silver sulfadiazine which belongs to a group of medicines known as sulfonamides that kill bacteria by working on the cell membrane and cell wall. Silver sulfadiazine is used for the prevention and the treatment of inflammation (infection) in burns and other skin injuries (decubital wounds, varicose problems, scratches, minor injuries, cuts and other clean wounds, and wounds that develop during transplantation of one`s own skin.
Is Silver sulfadiazine suitable for me?
Silver sulfadiazine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to silver sulfadiazine, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- during pregnancy (especially in the prenatal period)
- in preterm infants and newborns during the first 2 months of life, because it may cause jaundice (kernicterus)
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breast-feeding
- are hypersensitive to sulfonamides
- in patients with inborn G-6-PD deficiency
- have kidney or liver problems
Silver sulfadiazine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Silver sulfadiazine?
This medicine is available in form of cream.
You should use silver sulfadiazine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- The cream is intended for external and topical use only.
- The cream should be applied once a day. It can be used several times a day for more severe wounds; however, you need to apply the cream at least once a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Silver sulfadiazine side effects?
Like all medicines silver sulfadiazine can cause side effects, including:
- skin irritation
- burning, itching
- pain at the site of administration
- decreased white blood cell count
- gray skin color
- life-threatening reactions on the skin (Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis)
- hypersensitivity reactions
- allergic skin reactions such as rash, itching, dermatitis
- changes in the blood count
- problems with liver and kidneys
- crystalluria (the appearance of crystals in the urine)
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.