This medicine contains the active ingredient lornoxicam which is also called a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), or just 'anti-inflammatory'. NSAIDs are used to ease pain, stiffness and inflammation of conditions that affect muscles, bones and joints. Lornoxicam is used to reduce pain and inflammation resulting from inflammatory diseases of the joints, osteoarthritis, surgery, sciatica and other.
Lornoxicam, as well as other NSAIDs, eases pain and inflammation by blocking the production of chemicals called ‘prostaglandins’, which are produced at sites of injury or damage.
Is Lornoxicam suitable for me?
Lornoxicam is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to lornoxicam, other NSAIDs or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have ever had a peptic ulcer or bleeding in your gut
- if you have any gut disorders
- if you have heart disease and/or cerebrovascular disease
- if you have kidney or liver failure
- if you have or have had problems with your blood circulation
- if you are in your last three months of pregnancy
- is not recommended for use in children and adolescents under 18 years of age
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- have ever had any disease of the stomach or intestine
- have heart, kidney or liver problems
- have excessive fluid loss, salt restriction or heart failure
- have blood clotting disorder
- have high blood pressure,
- suffer from any stomach or bowel disorders (ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease)
Lornoxicam interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Lornoxicam?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take lornoxicam exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- Adults: the usual dose is 8-16 mg divided into two daily doses. On the first day of treatment the starting dose may be 16 mg, and after 12 hours the dose is 8 mg. After the first day of the therapy, the maximum recommended daily dose is 16 mg.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Lornoxicam side effects?
Like all medicines lornoxicam can cause side effects, including:
- abdominal pain
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.