This medicine contains the active ingredient ergometrine which belongs to a group of medicines known as ergot alkaloids. These medicines stop the excessive bleeding that sometimes occurs after abortion or after baby is delivered by causing the muscle of the uterus to contract. Ergometrine is prescribed for post-partum and uterine bleeding and for the management of the third stage of labor.
Is Ergometrine suitable for me?
Ergometrine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to ergometrine or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you are breastfeeding
- if you have liver, kidney, heart or circulation problems
- if you have eclampsia or preeclampsia
- if you are pregnant
- if you have a serious infection
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have angina or other heart problems
- have blood vessel disease
- have high blood pressure
- have had a stroke
- have kidney or liver disease
- have Raynaud's phenomenon
Ergometrine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Ergometrine?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take ergometrine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- The usual dose for the treatment of excessive uterine bleeding is 0,2 to 0,4 mg taken every 6 to 12 hours for no longer than 48 hours.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Ergometrine side effects?
Like all medicines ergometrine can cause side effects, including:
- cramping of the uterus;
- nausea; vomiting
- abdominal or stomach pain;
- headache (mild and temporary);
- ringing in the ears;
- stuffy nose;
- unpleasant taste
- skin rash
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.