Duprost (Dutasteride 0.5Mg)
Active ingredient: Dutasteride
Packaging Type: 10 caps/blister
Manufacturer : Cipla
Product Code: PR10075
The drug is used to treat hair loss conditions in men, such as male pattern baldness (AKA Alopecia) due to a number of reasons. It is also used to treat benign prostate conditions. It is a gender specific drug and the intended patients are men.
Classification and Mechanism of Action
It is a triple 5α-reductase inhibitor that is used to treat baldness and enlarged prostate. The drug is also approved by FDA. It inhibits the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
How to take Duprost
The medicine is required to be taken with some liquid as per the prescribed schedule of dosage. It may be taken with or without food. Capsules should not be chewed instead ingested with liquid.
Usually the recommended dosage of the drug is 1 capsule (0.5 mg) a day orally with water.
Seek emergency consultation in case of heavy overdose.
Do not double the dose at once. If you have accidently missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember.
Warnings and Precautions
- Do not take Duprost without prescription of a registered medical practitioner because it is a disease specific drug.
- Do not share your medicine with anyone else as it may be harmful for the person.
- Let your doctor know if you are allergic to a specific class of drugs.
- Your doctor should know if you are a diabetic, patient of hypertension, or heart disease.
Common Side Effects
- One of the most common side effects that have been seen in middle aged people is erectile dysfunction, loss of libido, and decreased number of active sperms in semen.
- Some people may get allergic conditions from mild to severe level as per the extent of reaction, including skin rashes, hives, and itching.
- Mood changes, sadness, depression, and sleep disorders.
When Duprost should not be used?
This drug is not suitable to use if anyone of the following is applicable:
- You are suffering from heart disease, urinary tract infection, throat infection, and skin allergy.
- You are taking any kind of allopathic or herbal dietary supplement.
- You are diabetic and using regular insulin
- You have severe allergies from foods, medicines, and seasons.
- You have a history of cancer.
How long should you take Duprost?
Duration of usage varies from patient to patient as per the requirements. Usually treatment of Dutasteride is given for 3 to 6 months in order to achieve intended outcomes.