This medicine contains two active ingredients dorzolamide and timolol. Timolol is a selective beta receptor blocker used in the treatment of ocular hypertension (high eye pressure) and certain types of glaucoma. Dorzolamide is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. This medicine reduces the high pressure in the eye by lessening the amount of fluid made in the eye. By lowering the pressure, Cosopt reduces the risk of damage to the optic nerve and loss of vision.
Is Cosopt suitable for me?
Cosopt is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to timolol, dorzolamide, beta-blockers or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have respiratory problems like asthma, severe chronic obstructive bronchitis
- if you have heart problems
- if you have severe kidney problems
- if you have excess acidity of the blood
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have any type of heart problems
- have breathing problems
- have poor blood circulation disease (such as Raynaud’s disease or Raynaud’s syndrome)
- have diabetes
- have overactive thyroid gland
- wear soft contact lenses
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Cosopt interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Cosopt?
This medicine is available in form of eye drops.
You should take Cosopt exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose is 1 drop in the affected eye(s) twice a day, which is put between the lower eyelid and the eye.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Cosopt side effects?
Like all medicines Cosopt can cause side effects, including:
- burning and stinging of the eyes
- taste perversion
- redness in and around the eye(s)
- watering or itching of the eye(s)
- corneal erosion (damage to the front layer of the eyeball)
- swelling and/or irritation in and around the eye(s)
- eye pain, dry eyes
- blurred vision
- headache, sinusitis
- weakness and fatigue
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.