This medicine contains the active ingredient chloramphenicol which belongs to a group of medicines called antibiotics. Antibiotics are used to stop several bacterial infections by destroying bacteria and preventing their growth. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of bacterial blepharitis (inflammation of the eyelids), conjunctivitis (inflammation of the conjunctiva), keratitis (inflammation of the cornea) and infections that can occur after mechanical injury of conjunctiva and cornea.
Is Chloramphenicol suitable for me?
Chloramphenicol is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to chloramphenicol, other antibiotics or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have ever had problems with your bone marrow or blood
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, or breastfeeding
- have problems with your eyesight
- have severe pain in the eye
- eyes are sensitive to light
- have eye inflammation and a rash on your face or scalp
- have had eye surgery or laser treatment in the last six months
- have glaucoma, dry eyes syndrome or an eye injury
- wear contact lenses
Chloramphenicol interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Chloramphenicol?
This medicine is available in form of eye ointment.
You should take chloramphenicol exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The usual dose will depend on the infection you have.
- The usual dose for the first 48 hours is 1 cm of the ointment applied every 3 to 4 hours. After two days, you can increase the time between the two doses.
- The ointment is applied between the lower eyelid and the eye.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Chloramphenicol side effects?
Like all medicines chloramphenicol can cause side effects, including:
- hypersensitivity reactions
- vesicular and maculopapular dermatitis
- urticaria (red rash that is very itchy)
- stinging or itching
- redness, swelling
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.