Generic Uloric (Febuxostat)
Active ingredient: Febuxostat
Manufacturer : Sun Pharmaceuticals Industries
Product Code: PR0499842
This medicine contains the active ingredient febuxostat which belongs to a group of medicines called xanthine-oxidase inhibitors. These medicines reduce the production of uric acid in the body (if the levels of this acid become high, it can cause inflammation in the joints and tendons). Febuxostat is prescribed for the treatment of gout attack (pain, redness, swelling, warmth in the joints).
Is Febuxostat suitable for me?
Febuxostat is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to febuxostat, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breast-feeding
- have heart problems
- have any problems with your thyroid, liver or kidneys
- have had an organ transplant
- have cancer
- have Lesch-Nyhan syndrome
Febuxostat interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Febuxostat?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take febuxostat exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- The usual dose is one tablet daily.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Febuxostat side effects?
Like all medicines febuxostat can cause side effects, including:
- abnormal liver test results
- increase in gout symptoms
- decreased appetite,
- reduced sexual desire
- difficulty sleeping
- dizziness, numbness, tingling, reduced or altered sensation
- hot flushes or flushing, increased blood pressure, bleeding
- cough, shortness of breath, chest discomfort or pain,
- inflammation of nasal passage and/or throat, bronchitis
- dry mouth,
- abdominal pain/discomfort or wind,
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.