Generic Sanctura (Trospium) 5 mg
Active ingredient: Trospium
Product Code: Generic Sanctura (Trospium) 5 mg
This medicine contains the active ingredient trospium which belongs to a group of medicines known as antimuscarinic medicines. It relieves the pain caused by muscle cramps (spasms) in the digestive system, gall bladder and bile ducts, and in the urinary tract and female reproductive tract. It works by relaxing the muscles in the wall of the digestive and urinary systems. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of cramps and pain in diseases of the gallbladder and bile ducts, pain with inflammation of the lining of the stomach (gastritis) and ulcers in the stomach and duodenum; pain associated with inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis), spasms in the digestive system, spastic colitis; cramps and pain caused by for kidney stones and stones in the ureter, spastic neurogenic bladder with reflex discharge and in functional disorders of the urinary bladder in multiple sclerosis; menstrual pains; cramps and pain in malignant diseases of the digestive system; symptoms of the overactive bladder (frequent urination, sudden need to urinate and / or difficulty reaching the toilet in time and wetting oneself).
Is Trospium suitable for me?
Trospium is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are hypersensitive to trospium or to any of the other ingredients of the medicine
- if you suffer from urinary retention
- if you have raised pressure in the eye (narrow angle glaucoma)
- if you have a fast, irregular heartbeat (tachycardic arrhythmia)
- if you have myasthenia gravis (muscle weakness)
- if you suffer from severe ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease
- if you have severe kidney failure (if you are on dialysis)
- if you have constriction (stenosis) in the digestive system
- if you have megacolon (an extremely enlarged colon)
- if you suffer from severe cerebral atherosclerosis (hardening of the blood vessels in the brain)
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have difficulties in passing urine and/or a poor stream of urine
- suffer from neuropathy (nerve damage)
- have any heart conditions
- have a hiatus hernia or heartburn
- have an overactive thyroid gland
- are elderly
- have liver or kidney problems
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Trospium interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Trospium?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take trospium exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. You will be prescribed your dose according to your needs.
- The usual daily dose is 1 to 2 tablets (5 to 10 mg) taken 3 times a day (15 to 30 mg per day), or 4 tablets taken twice a day (40 mg per day).
- The maximum daily dose is 45 mg.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Trospium side effects?
Like all medicines trospium can cause side effects, including:
Very common side effects:
- dry mouth
Common side effects:
- abdominal pain
Uncommon side effects:
- fast heart rate
- flatulence, diarrhea
- chest pain
Rare side effects:
- urinary retention
- fast heart beat
- blurred vision
- breathing difficulties
- skin rash
- chest pain
- joint and muscle pains
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.