This medicine contains of the active ingredient betahistine which is a type of medicine called a “histamine analogue”. Betahistine affects the inner ear by reducing the pressure caused by irregular blood flow in the inner ear. It is prescribed to people with Ménière's disease, which causes dizziness, ringing and noises in the ears, as well as loss of hearing.
Is Betahistine suitable for me?
Betahistine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to betahistine or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have a adrenal gland tumor (pheochromocytoma)
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have a stomach ulcer
- have asthma
- have allergic reaction such as rash or a cold in the nose
- have low blood pressure
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breast-feeding
Betahistine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Betahistine?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take betahistine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- This medicine is usually used three times a day, so that the total dose is 24 mg to 48 mg per day. The treatment is started with one 16 mg tablet three times a day, and it is later reduced to one 8 mg tablet three times a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Betahistine side effects?
Like all medicines betahistine can cause side effects, including:
- feeling sick
Other side effects are stomach problems such as vomiting, pain, abdominal bloating, as well as allergic reactions.
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.