Active ingredient: Phenoxymethylpenicillin
Product Code: Penicillin
This medicine contains the active ingredient phenoxymethylpenicillin, which belongs to ‘penicillins’. Penicillins are antibiotics which are widely used for the treatment of bacterial infections by killing them and stopping their growth. Phenoxymethylpenicillin is prescribed for the treatment of bacterial infections of chest, throat, ears, respiratory tract, skin and soft tissue, and it is also prescribed for the prevention of certain infections, like pneumococcal infection.
Is Phenoxymethylpenicillin suitable for me?
Phenoxymethylpenicillin is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you have an allergy (hypersensitivity) to phenoxymethylpenicillin or any penicillin-type antibiotic, or any other ingredient of this medicine
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- have kidney problems.
- suffer from any stomach problems, e.g. vomiting
- suffer from allergies and/or asthma
Phenoxymethylpenicillin interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Phenoxymethylpenicillin?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet and oral suspension.
You should take phenoxymethylpenicillin exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Phenoxymethylpenicillin side effects?
Like all medicines phenoxymethylpenicillin can cause side effects, including:
- skin rash
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, colitis
- stomach pain
- dry mouth
- pins and needles or numbness
- sore throats, infections, or fever
- problems with blood clotting
- kidney problems, which might cause blood in the urine or reduced amounts of urine
- jaundice – yellowing of skin or whites of the eyes
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.