This medicine contains the active substance hydrotalcite which belongs to the group of antacids (medicines that neutralize the symptoms of excess stomach acid). It is not absorbed into the bloodstream. It can be used to reduce excess stomach acid which causes certain types of digestive disorders (heartburn, feeling of fullness), acute and chronic gastritis, gastric and duodenal ulcer.
Is Hydrotalcite suitable for me?
Hydrotalcite is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to hydrotalcite or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- if you suffer from severe kidney failure
- if you have reduced concentration of phosphate in the blood (hypophosphatemia)
- if you suffer from myasthenia gravis with muscle weakness
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breast-feeding
- have low phosphate levels
- have renal impairment, especially when undergoing dialysis
- have Alzheimer's disease or other forms of dementia (loss of cognitive abilities)
- suffer from constipation
- are suspected to have bowel obstruction
- are suspected to have appendicitis
Hydrotalcite interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Hydrotalcite?
This medicine is available in form of chewable tablets.
You should take hydrotalcite exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The recommended dose for adults is:
- In case of indigestion and gastritis:
1-2 chewable tablets (single dose) taken when the symptoms of upset stomach occur.
- In case of gastric and duodenal ulcers:
2 chewable tablets 3-4 times a day 1-2 hours after meals and before going to sleep. Treatment should be continued for at least 4 weeks after the symptoms disappear.
Tablets have to be chewed. A daily dose of 12 chewable tablets should not be exceeded. Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not apply two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Hydrotalcite side effects?
Like all medicines hydrotalcite can cause side effects, including:
- infrequent stools
- frequent bowel movement (defecation)
- vomiting and diarrhea
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.