This medicine contains the active ingredient ergoloid mesylates which belongs to a group of medicines known as ergot alkaloids. These medicines are used to help reduce symptoms of ageing in elderly people, such as senile dementia, senile cerebral insufficiency consequences (confusion, dizziness, depression), and age-related cognitive impairment (e.g. Alzheimer’s disease).
Is Ergoloid mesylates suitable for me?
Ergoloid mesylates is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to ergoloid mesylates or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have bradycardia (slow heart beat ) or severe hypotension
- if you have certain mental problems (psychosis)
- if you are taking HIV protease inhibitors
- if you suffer from severe kidney or liver damage
- if you have porphyria (blood disorder)
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- have progressive ischemic heart disease and severe peripheral angiopathy
Ergoloid mesylates interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Ergoloid mesylates?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take ergoloid mesylates exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The dose will be prescribed according to your condition and needs.
- The usual dose for 1.5 mg tablets is three times a day, and the usual dose for 4.5 mg tablets is once a day.
- The tablets should be taken after a meal.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Ergoloid mesylates side effects?
Like all medicines ergoloid mesylates can cause side effects, including:
- upset stomach
- loss of appetite
- stuffy nose
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.