This medicine contains two active ingredients, 10 mg/mL of hydrocortisone and 2 mg/mL of chloramphenicol. Hydrocortisone belongs to a group of medicines known as corticosteroids and it is prescribed for the treatment of inflammatory conditions of the eyes (red, swollen and painful eyes).Chloramphenicol belongs to a group of medicines called antibiotics, and it is used to prevent or treat bacterial infections. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of surface inflammatory and allergic conditions of the eyelid, cornea and the front of the eye, accompanied by bacterial infections caused by microorganisms sensitive to chloramphenicol.
Is this medicine suitable for me?
This medicine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to hydrocortisone, chloramphenicol or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have an untreated fungal or viral infections of the eye
- if you have a of the cornea ulcer
- if you have an eye infection caused by mycobacteria
- if you have trachoma (a chronic inflammatory disease of the cornea caused by chlamydia)
- if you have low levels of bone marrow (myelopathy, aplastic anemia)
- if it is meant for children under 3 years of age
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breast-feeding
- wear soft contact lenses
- have intra-ocular pressure (glaucoma)
This medicine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take this medicine?
This medicine is available in form of eye drops.
You should use this medicine only as directed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information.
- The usual dose is 1-2 drops in the affected eye (s) four to six times a day, depending on the severity of the disease. In serious conditions, the dose may be increased to 2 drops in the affected eye (s) every two hours during the first 48-72 hours.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor ordered. Do not apply a double dose to make up for forgotten individual doses.
What are this medicine side effects?
Like all medicines this medicine can cause side effects, including:
- blurred vision
- discomfort in the eye(s).
- mild burning or stinging sensations in the eye.
- blurred vision,
- eyelid itching, eyelid swelling,
- sensitivity to light
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.