This medicine contains 150 mg of the active ingredient charcoal, which is an intestinal adsorbent. It is used in conditions of:
- Acute poisoning by orally taken medicine or toxin (analgesics, antipyretics, sedatives, hypnotics, anticonvulsants, tricyclic antidepressants, cardiotonic glycosides, sulfonamides, quinine, theophylline, nicotine);
- Food poisoning;
Is Charcoal suitable for me?
Charcoal is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to charcoal or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if there is the possibility of oral administration of specific antidote
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding
- have a chronic disease
- have a metabolic disorder
Charcoal interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Charcoal?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take charcoal exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- In the case of acute oral poisoning, charcoal should be taken within 30 minutes of entering the toxins in the body, in order to effectively prevent the absorption of toxins. The usual dose is 20 tablets, crushed into glass of water or tea, taken every 4 hours.
- In the case of diarrhea and flatulence, the usual dose is 4-7 tablets, 4 times a day after meals. The usual dose for children is 2-4 tablets 1-2 times a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Charcoal side effects?
Like all medicines charcoal can cause side effects, including:
- vomiting, abdominal pain
- hypokalemia, acidosis
- dyspnea, respiratory disorder, pulmonary infiltration, aspirations
- slight irritation of the skin and / or mucous membranes
- allergic reaction
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.