Generic Availnex (Carbocysteine)
Active ingredient: Carbocysteine
Product Code: Generic Availnex (Carbocysteine)
This medicine contains the active ingredient carbocysteine which belongs to a group of medicines called mucolytic agents which are used in conditions where breathing is difficult because there are a lot of secretions (also referred to as mucus) in your air passages. Carbocysteine facilitates expectoration and reduces cough. This medicine works by making your mucus thinner and increasing the secretion of mucus from the respiratory tract in acute and chronic diseases of the bronchi and lungs with disorders of excretion and transmission of mucus.
Is Carbocysteine suitable for me?
Carbocysteine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to carbocysteine or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have an ulcer in your stomach or gut
These doses of the medicine are not recommended for use in children.
In particular, you must tell the doctor:
- if you or your child have or have had a stomach ulcer
- if difficulties with coughing last longer or are often repeated
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Carbocysteine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Carbocysteine?
This medicine is available in form of capsules and syrup.
You should take carbocysteine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
The usual dose for adults (including the elderly) is two capsules, 3 times each day. If your symptoms improve, your dose should be lowered to one capsule, 4 times, each day.
The usual dose for adults (including the elderly) is 15ml three times each day. If your symptoms improve, your dose may be lowered to 10ml, three times, each day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Carbocysteine side effects?
Like all medicines carbocysteine can cause side effects, including:
- nausea, vomiting
- pain in the upper abdomen
- blood in your vomit or black tarry stools
- skin rash
- severe skin diseases (eg, Stevens Johnson syndrome, Lyell-syndrome)
- acute hypersensitivity reactions (anaphylactic reaction)
- anaphylactic shock
- bronchial spasm (bronchospasm)
- swelling (angioneurotic edema)
- hives (urticaria), itching (pruritus)
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.