Acivir 200 Mg & 400 Dt (Acyclovir)
Active ingredient: Acyclovir
Packaging Type: 5 tabs/blister
Manufacturer : Cipla
Product Code: PR10030
Acivir (Aciclovir or Acyclovir)
Acivir is a well known drug that fights against the herpes virus. All the infections caused by this virus such as shingles and chicken pox are treated by Acivir. While Acivir, like many other drugs, is not able to completely cure herpes virus, it slows down the process by a significant rate. Genital herpes and cold sores are other infections of the herpes virus that can be treated with this drug.
Classification and Mechanism of Action
Acivir is an antiviral drug specifically used to cure the herpes virus. Antiviral drugs reduce the risk of flu viruses to return again by fighting the virus in several parts of the body. Antiviral drugs are good for several virus treatments and are therefore popular.
How to take the medication
200mg, 400mg and 800mg of Acyclovir tablets can be swallowed with or without having a meal. Keep the tablet in mouth and swallow it with the help of water or simply stir the tablet in at least 50ml water and drink.
Acyclovir tablets must be consumed in the amount as prescribed by the doctor; however, here are some usual dosages of Acivir:
- In case of cold sores and genital herpes, 5 tablets of 200mg should be consumed per day for five days for the treatment, 4 tablets of 200mg with 6 hour interval for six to twelve months for prevention, 2 tablets of 200mg at 12 hour interval if the patient’s kidney is impaired. For children of two years and above, the same dosage is recommended, while for younger children, half the dosage should be given.
- In case of shingles, 800 mg of tablets should be given at appropriate intervals.
- In case of chicken pox, 200mg is recommended for children under 2 years, 400mg for 2-5 years and 800mg for 5 years and above for five days.
In case of over-consumption of Acivir, immediately contact your doctor.
Missing a dose
Since Acivir is an antiviral drug, missing a dose is not a very serious issue. You are advised to take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
Warnings and Precautions
- Dosage must be prescribed by the doctor after short intervals because wrong dosage can lead to renal dysfunction.
- Inform the doctor about any allergies that you may have prior to treatment.
- Also inform the doctor about any diseases or problems that you may have, especially kidney problems.
Possible side effects
Here is a list of some common side effects.
Serious side effects like dizziness and kidney problems rarely occur.
When the drug should not be used?
Acivir must be avoided if the kidney is seriously impaired while dosage must be reduced significantly if the kidney is slightly impaired.