This medicine contains two active ingredients, 1% of hydrocortisone and 3% of oxytetracycline. Hydrocortisone belongs to a group of medicines known as corticosteroids and it is prescribed for the treatment of inflammatory conditions of the eyes (red, swollen and painful eyes). Oxytetracycline belongs to a group of medicines called tetracycline antibiotics, and it is prescribed for the treatment of infections caused by bacteria and some other microorganisms. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of inflamed skin conditions (eczema, dermatitis), allergic skin conditions and infected insect bites.
Is Terra-Cortril suitable for me?
Terra-Cortril is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to hydrocortisone, oxytetracycline or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have a primary bacterial infection (an infection of the skin causing blisters or yellow crusting)
- if you are pregnant
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Terra-Cortril interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Terra-Cortril?
This medicine is available in form of ointment, and it is for the EXTERNAL USE ONLY.
You should use Terra-Cortril only as directed by your doctor or pharmacist. Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information.
- The ointment is usually used if your skin is dry. Apply a thin layer of this medicine to the affected area once or twice a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor ordered. Do not apply a double dose to make up for forgotten individual doses.
What are Terra-Cortril side effects?
Like all medicines Terra-Cortril can cause side effects, including:
- burning sensation
- irritation of the skin
- increased hair growth on the forehead, back, arms, and legs
- thinning of the skin
- permanent stretchmark
- allergic contact dermatitis
- white patches on the skin (hypopigmentation)
- prickly heat
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.