Generic Coartem Cost
Product Code: PR10903
Lumefantrine / Artemether (generic Coartem)
Coartem is a generic name for Lumefantrine / Artemether. Both of them are medications for malaria. It interferes with the growth of parasites in the red blood cells. However; it may also be used to treat diseases that are not listed in this guide.
Classification and Mechanism of action
The mechanism of lumefantrine is not known. The available data suggest that it stops the formation of β-hematin. It is not classified under any drug type.
Looking after the drug
Keep lumefantrine out of the reach of children. It should be stored at a room temperature of 15 -30 degrees Celsius. Do not use any medication after its expiration date.
How to take the medication?
Take coartem by mouth with milk and food. Follow the directions given at the back of the prescription label. Crush the tablets and mix them with 1 to 2 teaspoons of water. Take the medication as often as it is directed. Do not take extra doses of this medication.
Patients who weigh 35 kg or more should be given 24 tablets for over a period of 3 days. The 3 day treatment would cover 6 doses.
Start the treatment with 4 tablets on day 1 followed by 4 more after 8 hours. On day 2 and 3, take 4 tablets in the morning and evening.
Contact the poison control center as soon as you take an extra dose of coartem.
If you miss a dose of your medication, take it as soon as you remember it. Do not take it if it’s almost time for the next scheduled dose. Never take any extra dosage of this medication.
Warnings and Precautions
- Tell your doctor if you have any kind of allergies before starting the medication.
- If you have a medical history of malaria, liver or kidney problems, do inform your doctor before you start the medication
- The medication also affects the rhythm of the heart. It can result in irregular heartbeat and other symptoms such as fainting and dizziness.
- Do not use the medication if you are pregnant. It should be taken only when it is really needed after consulting the doctor.
Possible Side effects
Some of the common side effects of lumefantrine are listed below:
- Muscle aches
- Irregular heartbeat
- Muscle aches
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Troubled breathing
- Abdominal pain
- Pale skin
- Unusual bleeding
When should you avoid the drug?
- Do not take the drug if you recently had a heart attack
- Do not take the medication if you are suffering from kidney and liver disease or a heart rhythm disorder.
- People who are low on magnesium and potassium in the body must also avoid taking the drug
- If you have had anti malaria medications in the past, do inform your doctor before taking the medication
- The Coartem may harm the unborn baby. Therefore; pregnant women should not use this drug at all.
- Do not breastfeed your baby during the treatment as the doctors are uncertain yet whether it is harmful for the baby or not.
How long should you take the drug?
A three day treatment is scheduled with 6 doses for patients who weigh 35 kg or above.