Manufacturer : Intas Pharmaceuticals Ltd
Product Code: PR10919
WHAT IS Comtan (Entacapone)?
Comtan 200 Mg (Entacapone) is a drug used to treat Parkinson’s disease. The main use of this medicine is to terminate the diminishing symptoms of the medications used for Parkinson’s disease as it assists levodopa and Carbidopa to reach the brain and help overcome their diminishing effects. It should be noted that it helps cure the symptoms of disease; it does not exterminate disease from its root. Therefore, medical consultation is necessary to cure it.
CLASSIFICATION AND MECHANISM OF ACTION
Comtan acts as a potential inhibitor of catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT). By inhibiting the breakdown of dopamine by the catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT), Comtan (Entacapone) helps to boost the dwindling levels of dopamine in the brain which is the basic pathology underlying the Parkinson’s disease.
It comes in the form of 200 mg tablets. Therefore it has to be taken with water or some liquid. It should be used eight times a day.
The effects of drug overdose include somnolence (sleep walking), excessive drowsiness, confusion, disorientation, irritability, discoloration of skin and tongue, violent behavior etc. Immediate medical help must be sought in case of over dosage for immediate management of the symptoms.
Try to take medicine as soon as you remember to take it. Don’t take double dosage to compensate the missed dose. Use the prescribed dose only.
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- Consult doctor and inform him or her if you feel any allergic reactions after few doses.
- Avoid the concomitant use of alcohol.
- Intimate the doctor if you are using any other medicine too.
- Do not drive a car or ride a bike immediately after taking the medicine as it can cause drowsiness.
- It should not be given to children as the overall effects of this medicine on children have not been confirmed yet.
- If you are pregnant or going to be pregnant, its use should be done strictly in accordance with the prescription of doctor.
- Do not let anyone take your medicine. It can be fatal for others.
- Properly store medicine in proper package.
SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS
- Difficulty in breathing
- Jumbled speech
- Muscular spasm
- Neck stiffness
- Excessive weakness
- Abnormal hair growth pattern
- Severe chest pain
- Rapid growth of moles over the body
WHEN Comtan SHOULD NOT BE USED?
- Pre-existing cardiovascular disease, orthostatic hypotension, liver disease, motor disorders and any sort of malignancy.
- In case of hypersensitivity to the drug.
HOW LONG SHOULD YOU TAKE Entacapone?
Since there is no specific cure for Parkinson’s disease, the treatment with Comtan (Entacapone) may extend over prolonged time periods.