This medicine contains the active ingredient racecadotril which belong to a group of medicines called antidiarrheal medicines. Racecadotril is used to treat sudden acute cases of diarrhea in adults and children. It decreases the discharge of water and electrolytes into the intestine, and helps you not to lose too much fluid. Long lasting diarrheas can cause dehydration and weakness, so it is important to start the treatment as soon as possible.
Is Racecadotril suitable for me?
Racecadotril is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to racecadotril, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have intolerance to some sugars
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have any blood or pus in stools
- have a high temperature
- have any liver or kidney problems
- have diabetes
- are suffering from chronic diarrhea or diarrhea caused by antibiotics
- are suffering from prolonged or uncontrolled vomiting
- are pregnant or breast-feeding
Racecadotril interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Racecadotril?
This medicine is available in form of a capsule and granules for oral suspension.
You should take racecadotril exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- For the granules for oral solution, the usual dose for children is 1.5 mg/kg per dose (corresponding to 1 to 2 sachets), three times a day.
- For the capsule, the usual dose is one 100 mg capsule taken three times a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Racecadotril side effects?
Like all medicines racecadotril can cause side effects, including:
- rash and erythema (skin redness)
- erythema multiforme
- inflammation of the tongue, inflammation of the face, inflammation of the lip, inflammation of the eyelid
- urticaria, rash, itching
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.