Buy Artane Online
Product Code: PR10370
WHAT IS Artane?
Artane (Trihexyphenidyl) is used to treat the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. It improves the nervous symptoms and relieves the muscle rigidity (especially the cog-wheel type motor rigidity associated with Parkinson’s disease). It relieves the spasms, tremors and muscle stiffness that tend to hinder the motor coordination of the body.
CLASSIFICATION AND MECHANISM OF ACTION
Artane (Trihexyphenidyl) is associated with the family of drugs known as anticholinergics. It is an M1 muscarinic antagonist. Its actions include the blockage of acetylcholine, control of muscle contraction, stiffness and spasms, increased saliva production, increased sweating and the muscles stiffness.
HOW TO TAKE Artane?
- Follow the dosing schedule as prescribed by the doctor.
- Take it preferably with food, with a full cup of water if prescribed orally.
- The oral dose must be measured in an oral syringe or medicine cup.
The usual dose is prescribed for three to four times a day in accordance with meals. Though the initial dosage is low, the intake is adjusted by the doctor depending on the patient’s mental and physical condition.
- 6 to 10 mg per day for adults
- 0.05 to 0.3 mg/kg per week for children above than 3 years of age
In case of drug overdose, emergency or poison control center must be contacted directly. The effects of over dosage include
- Sightlessness/widening of pupils/pain in eyes
- Severe hallucinations
- Dry/warm skin
- Pale face
- Tiredness/numbness/tingling in muscles
- Rough breathing/irregular heartbeat
- If at any time the dose is mistakenly missed, it must be taken instantly.
- Do not take the missed dose if the time for the next dose is near.
- Never double dose in an effort to compensate for the missed dose.
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- Artane (Trihexyphenidyl) is usually harmful if used during pregnancy. However it may be prescribed under strict precautionary measures if its potential benefits outweigh the risks.
- Lactating mothers should avoid it owing to its tendency to be secreted in the breast milk.
- The doctor must take complete drug and medical history of the patient before drug prescription.
- Take special dental care as the dug decreases the production of saliva.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking this drug.
- Immediately consult a doctor if severe mental or mood changes develop.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Common Side Effects
- Feelings of excessive excitement/nervousness/drowsiness/dizziness
- Mild dryness of mouth
- Numbness in fingers of hand/feet
- Dual vision/hallucinations
- Difficulty in passing urine
- Less sweating
Severe Side Effects
- Swelling of face/lips/tongue
- Acute high fever
- Rapid heartbeat
- Loss of appetite
- Rough breathing
WHEN Artane SHOULD NOT BE USED?
- Strictly prohibited for use in children less than 3 years of age
- If any allergic reaction takes place
HOW LONG SHOULD YOU TAKE Artane?
Dosage is to be strictly followed as instructed by the doctor. It is advised not to discontinue the drug without seeking advice from the doctor.
HOW TO LOOK AFTER THE DRUG?
- Keep it out of the children’s reach.
<>·Store in cool and dry place at room temperature.