This medicine contains the active ingredient methyldopa which belongs to the group of medicines called antihypertensives. These medicines do not allow the production of a chemical which causes the compression of the blood vessels, so that they are relaxed and wide and the blood pressure is lowered. Methyldopa is prescribed for the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension).
Is Methyldopa suitable for me?
Methyldopa is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to methyldopa, or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have liver disease
- if you have depression and treating it with ‘monoamine oxidase inhibitor’ (MAO inhibitor)
- if you have high blood pressure due to a tumor near your kidney (phaeochromocytoma).
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have porphyria
- have kidney or liver problems
- have damaged or diseased blood vessels in your brain
- have had a stroke
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Methyldopa interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Methyldopa?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take methyldopa exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual starting dose for adults is 250 mg taken two or three times a day. The maximum daily dose is 3 g.
- The usual starting dose for children is 10 mg per kg of bodyweight in 2-4 divided doses. The maximum dose is 65 mg/kg or 3 g per day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Methyldopa side effects?
Like all medicines methyldopa can cause side effects, including:
- dry mouth
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.