This medicine contains two active ingredients, cilazapril and hydrochlorothiazide. Cilazapril belongs to the group of medicines called angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. ACE inhibitors remove the chemical which causes the compression of the blood vessels, so that they are relaxed and wide and the blood pressure is lowered. Hydrochlorothiazide belongs to a group of medicines called thiazide diuretics, also known as water tablets. These medicines cause the kidneys to produce more urine, and in that way they free your body from retaining the extra fluid. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of high blood pressure.
Is Cilazil HCT suitable for me?
Cilazil HCT is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to cilazapril, hydrochlorothiazide, other ACE inhibitor medicines, thiazides or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have anuria
- if you have kidney problems
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have a heart problem
- have had stroke or have problems with the blood supply to your brain
- have diabetes
- have kidney or liver problems
- are having dialysis
- are on low potassium diet
- have a buildup of fluid in the abdomen (ascites)
- you have collagen vascular disease
- are planning to have an operation
- have a collagen vascular disease
- undergo LDL apheresis with dextrane sulphate
- have gout (accumulation of salts of uric acid in the joints)
- have porphyria (a metabolic disorder)
Cilazil HCT interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Cilazil HCT?
This medicine is available in form of a film-coated tablet.
You should take Cilazil HCT exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Usually you will take one Cilazil HCT tablet a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Cilazil HCT side effects?
Like all medicines Cilazil HCT can cause side effects, including:
- low blood pressure
- increased heart rate
- chest pain, palpitations
- breathing problems
- dry mouth
- lack of appetite
- diarrhea and vomiting
- skin rash
- muscle cramps or pain in your muscles or joints
- sleeping problems
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.