This medicine contains two active ingredients timolol and travoprost. Timolol is a selective beta receptor blocker used in the treatment of ocular hypertension (high eye pressure) and certain types of glaucoma. Travoprost is a prostaglandin analogue which works by increasing the outflow of fluid of the eye, which lowers the pressure. This medicine reduces the high pressure in the eye by lessening the amount of fluid made in the eye. By lowering the pressure, Duotrav reduces the risk of damage to the optic nerve and loss of vision.
Is Duotrav suitable for me?
Duotrav is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to timolol, travoprost, beta-blockers, prostaglandins, or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have respiratory problems like asthma, severe chronic obstructive bronchitis
- if you have heart problems
- if you have severe hay fever
- if the surface of your eye is cloudy
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have any type of heart problems
- have breathing problems
- have poor blood circulation disease (such as Raynaud’s disease or Raynaud’s syndrome)
- have diabetes
- have overactive thyroid gland
- wear soft contact lenses
- plan to have an operation
- have myasthenia gravis ( muscle weakness)
- have had cataract surgery
- have current or previous history of an eye inflammation
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
Duotrav interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Duotrav?
This medicine is available in form of eye drops.
You should take Duotrav exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual dose is 1 drop in the affected eye(s) once a day, which is put between the lower eyelid and the eye.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Duotrav side effects?
Like all medicines Duotrav can cause side effects, including:
- burning and stinging of the eyes
- eye redness
- eye surface inflammation with surface damage
- eye pain, blurred vision
- abnormal vision
- dry eye
- itchy eye, eye discomfort
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.