Fucidin (Sodium fusidat)
Active ingredient: Sodium fusidat
Product Code: Generic Fucidin (Sodium fusidat)
This medicine contains the active ingredient sodium fusidat which is an antibiotic. These antibiotics are used to stop several bacterial infections by destroying bacteria and preventing their growth. This medicine is used for the treatment of the conditions when the skin is infected by germs (bacteria), such as Impetigo (wet and swollen part of the skin with sores, blisters and rash), infected dermatitis (skin inflammation) and spots on the skin, infected cuts and scratches.
Is Sodium fusidat suitable for me?
Sodium fusidat is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to sodium fusidat or other ingredients of this medicine
- if you have an infection caused by some insensitive to micro-organisms, particularly Pseudomonas aeruginosa
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, planning to get pregnant, or breastfeeding
- have kidney problems
- have large areas of open wounds or damaged skin to be treated
Sodium fusidat interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Sodium fusidat?
This medicine is available in form of ointment.
You should take sodium fusidat exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. The usual dose will depend on the infection you have.
- The ointment is usually applied 3 to 4 times a day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not miss any doses and use the medicine at the same time each day. Do not apply two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Sodium fusidat side effects?
Like all medicines sodium fusidat can cause side effects, including:
- burning at the site of application
- itching, redness, stinging and dryness on the skin
- allergic rash, itching, redness or soreness of the skin
- angioedema (swelling on the skin)
- periorbital edema (swelling near the eye)
- conjunctivitis (inflammation of the conjunctiva of the eye)
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.