Canesten Vaginal (clotrimazole)
Active ingredient: clotrimazole
Product Code: PR093736
This medicine contains the active ingredient clotrimazole which belongs to a group of medicines called imidazoles or anti-fungal agents. These medicines are used to treat and prevent fungal and yeast infections by invading the affected areas of the skin and killing the fungi or impeding their growth. Clotrimazole is prescribed for the treatment of fungal infections of the vagina-Vaginal candidiasis. Candida is a fungus that normally inhabits the vagina without causing any changes, but when the infection occurs, the symptoms are: itching of the vagina and vulva (labia); redness and swelling of the tissues of the vagina and vulva (labia); pain in the vagina; whitish vaginal discharge, without the smell.
Is Clotrimazole suitable for me?
Clotrimazole is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you have an allergy (hypersensitivity) to clotrimazole, or other ingredient of this medicine
- if you have vaginal bleeding beside the menstrual period
- if you have profuse vaginal bleeding or blood stains in vaginal secretions
- if you have ulceration, bubbles or sores on the vagina or vulva (labia)
- if you suffer from pain in the lower abdomen
- if you suffer from pain and difficulty during urination
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- have had more than two vaginal infections during the past 6 months
- you or your sexual partner ever had a sexually transmitted disease
- are under 16 or over 60 years
Clotrimazole interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Clotrimazole?
This medicine is available in form of a pessary and vaginal cream.
You should take clotrimazole exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Pessary is inserted into the vagina, as deep as possible. Insert one 200 mg pessary daily, preferably at bedtime, for 3 consecutive days or one 500 mg pessary.
- Vaginal cream is inserted into the vagina, as deep as possible, by using the applicator. Squeeze out one charge of the applicator (5 g), preferably at bedtime, for 3 consecutive days.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not apply two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Clotrimazole side effects?
Like all medicines clotrimazole can cause side effects at the application site, including:
- allergic reactions
- or swelling
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.